Issue 21, April 2003

Klock Reunion Update

The Klock Family Reunion will be held on August 2, 2003. The Reunion will start with a bus tour of the St. Johnsville area. The buses will leave Fort Klock at 9:00 am on Saturday morning.

The First Stop:
The Palatine Evangelical Lutheran Church which is the oldest church still standing in the Fulton and Montgomery counties. There will be about a twenty minute talk at this church.

The Second Stop:
The Stone Arabia Reformed Church. Organized as a German Reformed Church was built in 1733. There will also be a twenty minute talk at this church.

The Third Stop:
Klock’s Church Yard, an old graveyard where many of our ancestors are buried. There will be a short talk about the site.

The Foruth Stop:
St . Johns Reformed Church & Grace Congregational Church. Lunch will be served at this stop. Sandwiches, soup, beverages and dessert. Bathroom break.

The Fifth Stop
The Indian Castle Church. Built 233 years ago and by Sir William Johnson. Sir William Johnson was the Commissioner of Indian Afairs. There will be about a twenty minute talk at the Indian Castle Church

The Sixth Stop:
The Fort Herkimer Church organized in 1723. There will be about a twenty minute talk about the Church.

There will be someone on each bus knowledgeable about the history of the area.

We will return to Fort Klock about 2:30. That will give us time to socialize. Dinner will be served about 5:00 pm at the fort.

The cost for the bus tour is $20.00 per person. The cost for the dinner is $10.00 per person. Reservations must be in by July 15, 2003 with a 50 % deposit. $10.00 ( non refundable ) for the bus tour and $5.00 ( non refundable ) for the dinner at the fort. $10.00 Balance due on boarding the bus for the tour. $5.00 balance due for the dinner at the fort.

The cost is due to all the expenses incurred for a Reunion like this. People have to be paid, bus drivers, fuel cost, food cost, the churches involved also require a charge. The speakers are volunteers. The people who will be preparing the food will have to be paid.

Hope to see you there… sounds like a great time to me and the cost will be will worth it.

George Warden Klock

George Warden Klock (Archibald, Cornelius, Jacob G., Johanguergh (Old George) Hendrick Klock was born September 21, 1839 in Fort Plain, New York. He was the son of Archibald Klock and Hannah Moore. He married Emma Jane David on October 4, 1857 in Waukesha, Wisconsin. George Warden Klock was 5’6” ½ inches tall and had dark a completion and had dark eyes and bleached hair. George was a carpenter by trade. George enlisted to fight in the Civil War in April of 1861 with Company F of the 5th Wisconsin Infantry. Luck was not with George and he was stricken with measles on his first day out in the field.

He was transported on an open wagon and in the rain to and ended up in the hospital. He later returned to his regiment but was unable to return to duty. George was discharged, sent home to die on December 9, 1861. With the love and care of his wife and family, and change of climate, he recovered from his disease. From December 1861 to February 1864, George stayed home to fight his illness. George was a patriot and on February 17, 1864 he reenlisted in the 2nd. Battery from Wisconsin where he served until the end of the war. George had a cough that stayed with him the rest of his life. George and his family moved to Washington State in 1902 in hopes that the climate would help his condition. George died March 13, 1905 in Spokane, Washington and is buried in Fairmont Cemetery in Spokane.

George and Emma Jane had four children, Isabelle, Ida, Carrie and Katlee.

Information and the picture for this article was send to me by a descendant of George Klock, Mr. Darrel Ayler of Vancouver, Washington. Thank you for contributing to this newsletter.

Do you have a story you would like to share. You can send it by e-mail or mail it to the address on the front page of Klock Connections.

Kaylee Nichole Henry

A Benefit Jamboree and Dinner was held at the Evart Lounge in Evart, Michigan for Kaylee Nichole Henry on March 2, 2003. Kaylee is the daughter of John Henry Jr. and Lisa Shopshear. Keylee was diagnosed with a form of cancer called Neuroblastoma when she was three months old. Keylee was born with this cancer. Upon initial diagnoses she was at an intermediate risk, recent testing has concluded she is actually a high-risk case. She has undergone several kemo and radiation treatments at the Devos Cancer Center in Grand Rapids.

Kaylee’s doctors are currently revising her treatment program, as the previous program did a lot of good, but cannot finish the job. Throughout her treatment program. Kaylee has been a brave little girl. The cancer has been beat in most areas of her body. The cancer was in her stomach, intestines, liver and brain. Now the only place it remains is in her liver.

Kaylee attended the benefit dinner and Jamboree, held in her honor. Several bands from the Evart area volunteered to play at the benefit. Several area stores and business donated gifts and prizes. The Evart Lounge donated their space for the event. Almost $2,400.00 was raised to help the family pay medical expenses. The picture on page 2 is Kaylee and my grandson, Jacob Allen Klock, on the dance floor, both were having a great time. Kaylee is the granddaughter of my sister, Sandy Klock Henry. I put the birth announcement of Kaylee Henry in Klock Connection in January of 2002, issue #6.

Check out for more pictures of the Jamboree Benefit for Kaylee.

If you would like to help this family with the medical expenses of Kaylee Henry, you can send it to:

John Henry, Jr.
214 Fair Street
Evart, Michigan 49631

A Klock Family Photo

Phil Hirl, who lives in Oregon was checking out some second hand stores and ran across an old picture. On the back of the picture had the names, Zebrina and Gertrude Robinson Klock, Lewis and wife Elvira Curtis Klock and their baby Ward Klock, Helen and her husband Howard Glenar. The 8X10 photo was in real good condition, taken about 1900.

“ I go around to second hand stores and buy pictures with names on the back, then try to find a family member,” Phil told me in an recent e-mail. Phil usually pays a couple dollars for the photos and tries to place them with the families. “I have placed a dozen or so photo with families,” Phil told me. Phil would pay two or three dollars for the photo’s, but this one was $16.00. He does not usually charge for the pictures, but this was a more that he wanted to spend.

He posted his find on the “Klock” forum on November 12, 2001 and almost immediately he got an e-mail from Kathleen McLaughlin who wanted the photo.

Kathleen is a genealogist who works on the Nellis and Klock Families. Kathleen was willing to pay the money the store was asking, so the next time Phil was at the store, he purchased the picture and send it to her.

Then on January 19, 2003 he heard from Sally Klock who lives near Cleveland, Ohio.

“It was wonderful seeing your message about the photo you saw at the second hand store in Oregon.” Sally told him. The photo was of her father, Ward Klock when he was a baby and her Grandparents, Lewis and Elvira, and her Great Grand Parents, Zebina and Gertrude And her Great Aunt and Uncle, Helen and Howard Glenar. Her father, Ward Klock was born in January 1909 so the picture was taken in the spring of 1910. “Everyone in the photo is now deceased,” Sally told him. “My father Ward, passed away in October 2000 at the age of 91. My aunt Helen, lived to be 100 and passed away in March of 1986,” she told me when I contacted he by e-mail. Her father Ward Klock served in Navy in WW-II. The Family spend most of their lives in upstate New York, in the St. Johnsville area. Sally has no idea how the picture showed up in a second hand shop in Oregon. Sally believes that someone in the family must have moved to Oregon and took the picture with them.

Fortunately, Sally has quite a few old photo and family pictures. Sally has a copy of the one found in Oregon at the second hand store.

Obituaries From The Canastota Library New York.

Last month I put two Obituaries I received from the Canastota Library. The Obituaries are from an Index ( 1878 - 1999 ) I found on the internet. The following Obituaries are of Newton Earl Klock who’s Obituary appeared in the Canastota Paper on April 24,1942 and his wife, Marguerite Dew Klock who’s Obituary was in the January 8, 1932 issue of the Canastota Paper.

Newton Earl Klock Died Tuesday

Newton Earl Klock, 50, life resident of the Canastota area and a machinist in Syracuse for many years died Tuesday night at a convalescent home in Syracuse at 538 Delaware St. after a three month illness.

He was a son of the late Erwin and Lucy Swan Klock of Whitelaw. He was a member of Salina Masonic lodge in Syracuse.

Surviving are two sisters, Mrs William Stockle of Whitelaw and Mrs. William Beardsley of Syracuse.

The funeral will be conducted from the home of his sister, Mrs. William Stockle of Whitelaw, Saturday at 2:30 P.M. with Rev. A.D. Stearns, pastor of the Whitelaw Presbyterian church officiating Burial will be in the Whitelaw cemetery.

Mrs. Newton Klock Dies at Hospital

Injuries Received in Fall at Parents Home Prove Fatal

Mrs. Marguerite Dew Klock, wife of Newton E. Klock, age 41 years died at Memorial hospital Sunday night. She had been a patient there since the preceding Monday when she suffered a serious injury by falling the length of the celler stairs at the home of her parents, Mr. And Mrs. Harry Dew, 321 N. Main Street. She never regained full consciousness after the accident.

Mrs. Klock was a student at the Canastota high school and a member of the graduating class of 1910. She studied music in this village and later at Syracuse University and taught music here. Following her marriage 17 years ago to Mr. Klock she made her home in Syracuse until about four years ago, when she returned to the home of her parents here for care following a serious illness. During her residence in Syracuse, Mrs. Klock was for some time business director of the Woman’s Exchange. Mrs. Klock is survived by her husband and parents. She was a member of St. Paul’s Episcopal church in Syracuse.

Funeral services were conducted from the Dew home Wednesday afternoon at 2 o’clock with the Rev. Harold Hebbethwaite officiating an burial was made in Lenox Rural cemetery.

I have several more Obituaries for the Canastota Paper I will share with you in future issues of “Klock Connections”.


The last article in this issue of Klock Connections was “ Germans To America “ which is on line on this web site.

Return to Klock Connections Opening Page.

Copyright 1998, -- 2004. Berry Enterprises & Dave Klock. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.