Issue 20, March 2003
Klock Connections

John R. Klock

John Rodney Klock, ( Albert Gardner, Gardner Sylvester, Sylvester, Daniel, John J, Jacob I, Johannes Haymer, Hendrick Klock ) lived in Connecticut and Point Pleasant, Pennsylvania while growing up. His Father, Albert ##G. Klock was an engineer in the Textile Industry. His mother, M. Jeanne was a Dietician. Both of John’s parents graduated from Penn State. Albert played football and wrestled at Penn State back in the 30’s. Albert and Jeanne had three children, Isabel, John and Mary. When the textile industry started closing up in Pennsylvania, Albert moved his family to Tennessee. John finished his high school education at the Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va. After Hargrave, John started college in 1965 at East Tennessee State University in Johnston City, Tennessee. He graduated in 1970 and started teaching High School at T.A. Dugger Jr. High School. Bill taught Technology, Critical Thinking and Problem Solving Skills. He also was the Wrestling Coach for 25 years at the Elizabethton High School. John received his Masters Degree in 1996. Since retiring from public school teaching, John has been busy teaching Computer class at Milligan College, North East Technical Community College and Virginia Interment College in Bristol, VA. John also works for the Horace Mann Insurance Company as a Property and casualty specialist.

During his teaching career, John has served on many State and National Committees. He served on the Committee for National Certification in early adolescence Mathematics.

John has been married twice, his first wife was Jonda Large and they had one child, Holly. John’s second wife is Quida Carnell and they have two children, Dana and Gina. Gina is the youngest and in her last semester at East Tennessee State University. Dana is the middle child and has a degree in Micro Biological Engineering and is now a police officer with the Knoxville Police Department. Holly, the oldest is attending Tennessee State University and is working on her degree in Special Education.

John Lasher

John Lasher, (Magdalena Klock, Fredrick Klock, Honjost Klock, Hendrick Klock) was born in St. Johnsville, New York on August 24, 1842. John was the son of George Lasher and Magdalena Klock. Fredrick Klock married Magdalena Lara Klock, his second cousin, so John had two connections back to Hendrick Klock.

John Lasher served in the Civil War. He volunteered on August 26, 1862 with Co. A, 115th Regiment of the New York Volunteer Infantry. For volunteering his family received $25.00 from the town of St. Johnsville and $48.00 from the County of Montgomery. The 115th moved on August 30, 1862 to Sandy Hook, Md. John was assigned to the 8th Corps at Harper’s Ferry, West Virginia where his unit was captured by Col. Niles and on September 15, 1862. His unit was sent to a Parole Camp until exchanged in November 1862 and sent to Washington DC. John served in several units during the Civil War, taking part in several battles. On some point the served with Capt. C.N. Ballon who would later marry John’s sister, Anna Margaret Lasher.

At a battle at Olustee, Florida on Feburary 20, 1864, John was shot in the left ankle and captured by the Southern Forces. Several colored troops that fell in battle at Olustee were shot or left to die in the field while John was taken prisoner. He was taken to Tallahassee, Florida for a couple weeks and then sent to Andersonville prison. He was there for about eight weeks, receiving no medical attention for the injured ankle it became infected and John had to remove the bullet. On Nov. 19, 1864 John was exchanged and taken to Annapolis Maryland Hospital for a couple weeks and then furloughed to Chestnut Hill Hospital until he was discharged the 15th of June in 1865 because of his wound. John kept the bullet he took from his ankle and had it mounted in gold and put on a pocket watch, which he carried until, he died. He passed this watch on to his grandson, Clifford Pickard.

After the Civil War, he joined a group from Fort Plain and Nellison to search for gold in the lower Rockies. He had some success but not enough to open a mine. John returned to Nellison, New York and married Mary E. Sterling on October 9, 1870. John’s father, George Lasher and his brother, Dewitt Lasher built homes on the west side of North Main Street in Nellison. In 1871 John built a three-story brick home, which included a large ballroom. This venture ended up in foreclosure and in 1889 the building burned. In 1905, John built a home with a meat market in front, which he operated for several years. John and Mary had two children ( that I know of ) Maud and Ada Lasher. John died on Jan 24, 1915 and is buried in the Fort Plain Cemetery, on Pickard Lot. Mary Lasher died at 90 years of age in 1941. She is buried on the Lord lot in Fort Plain next to her mother, Adah Nancy Bell Sterling.

Information for this article came from Check it out… I think it was put on line by John “jack” Lasher. I tried but have been unable to contact him.

Cathy Raymonda

Cathy Raymonda, (Howard Klock, Kenneth Klock, Sherman Klock, Jacob Klock, Luther Klock, John J. Klock, Johannes Klock, Hendrick Klock) was born in Herkimer, New York. Cathy is presently a commercial loan officer at a local bank in Herkimer. As a Commercial Loan officer, she helps people get loans from the Bank for business purposes. “ Primarily for commercial real estate, i.e. apartment complexes, office buildings, retail shopping centers, etc.,” Cathy told me in a recent e-mail. She started out in the banking business more than 10 years ago as a commercial credit analyst (underwriter of commercial loans) “My job as an analyst was to analyze the exact financial risk of the transactions. Presently, I manage a commercial loan portfolio of approximately $20 million.” Cathy told me.

Cathy graduated from Herkimer County Community College with an Associates Degree. She is currently attending Suny Institute of Technology and working towards her Bachelors Degree in Business and Management.

In 1985, Cathy married Richard Fureno. Cathy and Richard had two children, Ryan and Shayla. Cathy and Richard divorced and in 1995 she married Daniel Raymonda. Daniel had two children for a previous marriage, Adam and Robert. Later Cathy gave birth to another child, Delaney Raymonda. So together they have five children to love.

Cathy lived in the country while growing up, close to her Grandma Klock’s house. “All of the Klock grandchild living close by would meet at Gram’s house and we would play kickball, baseball, dodge ball, cards and hide and seek.” Cathy told me. “ In the summer I would pick blackberries on my way to Grandmother’s and when I arrived, she would take them and make me my own blackberry pie to carry home.” Cathy said. Cathy Grandmother was very poor and had no modern appliances. She only had cold running water and cooked on a wood stove. “ But, she was very rich in heart. What ever she had she gave to her family.” Cathy said. Cathy’s grandfather died when Cathy was about 5 years old so she doesn’t remember him very well. “ I do remember him as being a very stubborn man, which I am sure you will find to be a common characteristic among the Klock’s.”

Cathy father, Howard Klock, worked most of his career at Chicago Pneumatic as a machinist until the plant relocated down south. “ He is retired but still works as hard as ever.” Cathy told me. “ My mother stayed home with her children. She is busier that ever as she continues to care for her children (now her grandchildren). I don’t know what we would do without her.”

Howard Klock and his wife attended the Klock Reunion that was held at Fort Klock in 2001.

Thank you Cathy for your story. Sounds like you have a great family.. I would bet they are as proud of you as you are of them…

Canastota, New York Obituaries.

Several months ago I was surfing the Net, looking for information for the Newsletter, and I ran across a site that had an Obituary Index from the Library in Canastota, New York. The Obituary Index (1876 - 1999) had several Klock’s. I sent after all the Obituaries and Newspaper Articles that had Klock’s in them thinking I may be able to use them in the Newsletter or maybe in my Family Tree. After receiving and reading the obituaries and articles from the Canastota Library, I put them up and forgot about them. I ran across them a few days ago and decided to use one or two of them in this issue of Newsletter…The following obituary came from the March 8, 1878 issue of the Canastota Newspaper.

Killed by the Cars.

On Thursday night last Menzio Klock, a German, aged 40 years, was run over and literally cut in fragments by the South West Atlantic Express between Manlius and De Witt. The accident was discovered after daylight Friday morning, by the hand of a western bound freight train. The remains were horribly mangled, portions being found along the tracks for some distance. The identity of the deceased was established by a man named Fisher, of Manlius, who recognized the hat and clothing of the deceased. Klock having purchasing some groceries from Fisher Thursday evening, and which were found in the vicinity of the mangled remains. After purchasing the provisions, Klock started home, which was the last seen of him. Deceased leaves a wife and one child.

Friday morning track hands found a portion of a pair of pants, covered with blood, just east of this station, doubtless a portion of the clothing of deceased carried here by the train, which caused his death.

I do not have a Menzio Klock on my family tree so I do not know if he was related. Maybe someone out there can tell me. If you know anything about Menzio Klock, please let me know The next obituary was in the information I received from the Canastota Library. It appeared in the Canastota Bee on Saturday August 31, 1901. It is on Myron Klock. His line would go like this. Myron Klock, Soloman Klock, John Billinger Klock, George G. Klock, Johanguergh Klock, and Hendrick Klock.

Death of Myron Klock
A Respected Resident Passes Away After Breif Illness

Myron Klock, an old and highly respected resident of Canastota, died at his home, in East Hickory street, Thursday evening, August 29, aged 67 years. He was down town Saturday evening and returned home about 9 o’clock and shortly afterwards he was taken with severe cramps. He suffered intense pain and his condition rapidly grew more serious. Death was caused by congestion of the brain.

Mr. Klock was the son of Solomon Klock and Nancy Ann Klock, and was born at St. Johnsville. He moved to the town of Lenox about 50 years ago, and for the most part of his life was engaged in farming; owning a fine farm on Seneca Avenue just east of this village. For the last eight or ten years he has resided in Canastota. He is survived by a wife and one daughter. Miss Almeda Klock, one brother, Theron Klock, of Wampsville, and two sisters, Mrs G.G. Stephens, of South Bay and Mrs. Nancy E. Weaver, of East Saginaw, Mich.

Funeral services will be held at the Presbyterian church, Sunday afternoon, at 3 o’clock, and will be attended in a body by members of the Canastota Lodge, No. 231, F. &A.M., of which Mr. Klock had long been an honored member. Rev. P.D. Cowan will officiate and will be assisted by Rev. C.E. Babcock. George W. Chapman will have charge of the Masonic ritual. Burial will be made in Mount Pleasant cemetery.

Mr. Klock was a most highly respected member of the community, with a sympathetic genial disposition, and a kind work for everyone. He was a consistent christian, and had been for some years a member of the Presbyterian church.

The last of Issue 20 was Germans to America, List of Passengers Arriving in U.S. Ports 1850 - 1880.

Return to Klock Connections Opening Page.

Copyright 1998, -- 2004. Berry Enterprises & Dave Klock. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.