Issue 15, October 2002

Guy A. Klock

Guy A. Klock M.D. (James Orville, Luther, John J. Jr., John J., Johannes, Hendrick.) was born April 5,1876 in Edwardsville, N. Y. Guy's father, James Orville Klock was born in 1849 and spent his live as a successful farmer in Harrisville, New York. His mother was Helen ( Hadlock) Klock who was born May 3, 1843.

Guy spent his youth working on his father's farm. He attended public schools and later attended the State Normal School and after graduating taught at Newton Falls, New York in 1900 to 1901. Then he entered the medical department of the University of Michigan.

Guy worked as a Barber in the winter and a house painter in the summer to pay his way through Medical School. After he earned his medical degree, Dr. Klock moved to Daytona Beach, Florida.

In June of 1906, Guy had to borrow money to pay for his railroad fair and he was broke when he arrived in Daytona Beach. Fortune smiled on Dr. Clock and he made 50 cents the first day he arrived in Daytona Beach. His medical practice grew and in a few years he had built one of the best in the city.

Dr. Clock specialized in surgery and in 1907 opened the first private hospital at 42 Second Avenue in the old town of Daytona. He later purchased property at 532 South Beach Street and in moved in there, enlarging his private hospital.

In 1912 he went to Europe and attended the International Meeting for Research Work at Dresden, Germany, paying special attention to the lectures on the subject of tropical diseases. Again in 1925 he went to Vienna for two months to study and expand his knowledge in surgery.

In 1917 he volunteered under the Red Cross for the United States Public Health Service and for a long time held the title and performed the duties of Acting Assistant Surgeon of the U.S. Department of Public Health.

During WW-I, Dr. Clock was stationed at Panama City, Florida He later joined a company of the Florida National Guard as a private and was promoted to First Lieutenant in 1919 and in 1920 the Adjutant General appointed him to State Surgeon of the Medical Corps of the Florida National Guard with the rank of Major. The Governor of Florida appointed him on the Board of Medical Examiners. He later resigned this position.

In the fall of 1920 he was one of five physicians appointed by the U.S. Government to receive post-graduate training in the Army Medical School at Washington. After completion of his work, he received his diploma on May 26, 1921.

Dr. Guy Klock took great interest in local government, serving eight years as a member of City Council and twelve years as City Health Officer of old Daytona. He was once nominated for the United States Senate for the state of Florida and received a flattering vote for the office. Dr. Klock was a member of the Association of Military Surgeons. An article about Dr. Klock appears in Who's Who and What to See in Florida and in the History of Volusia County, Florida. Dr. Klock was a member of the Elks, Moose and Maccabees.

Dr. Clock married Frances Fearon of Morrisville, New York, in 1898. Guy and Frances had three children, Maude (Mrs. William McCoy) Dorothy and Floyd. In 1923 he married Wilbe H. Tallman of Baltimore. Guy and Betty had one child, Betty Ann.

Guy's only son, James Floyd Klock was an Air Force Flight Surgeon, and while stationed in London, England during WW-II, James Floyd was killed in a glider crash. Guy and his son, Floyd had plans on running the Klock Hospital together after the war. When his son was killed, he closed the Hospital in 1944. Dr. Clock continued practicing medicine. He was one of the oldest practicing physicians. Guy Clock in Daytona working until he was 76 years of age. He died in 1953, after 47 years of practice, two months after his retirement and 10 days after his 77th. birthday.

Anita Smith and That Curly Maple Paddle

This story was written in the 1950's and was sent to me by Joyce Berry, Web Master for the Fort Klock and Indian Castle Web Site. Words by Lillian Wohlgemuth as rewritten by Anita Smith.

<-Anita Smith.

A few weeks ago, I read in the Schenectady Gazette an item about a "Schoolmarm" a Miss Frances Schafer of Schoharie who now recalls her early school teaching days, supported by the use of a addling Ruler and which I know from my early childhood in school, was the teacher's only assistant. After reading that article on Miss Schaffer, I went to the attic and found an old ruler, it looked it age too, but an idea came to me to give it to the Tryon Co., Muzzle Loaders- for their nearly restored one Room school house, near Ft. Klock.

<Fort Klock School.

I shall now give to the young students of today and my old friends through out the Mohawk Valley a real true story and can prove it's formation by presenting that same-old maple rule-made by my Grandfather (Hiram Allen) when acting trustee in Dist. No. 11 Tillaborough, town of Ephratah, more that 90 years ago. My father, Alfred Allen often told me about his school days with certain teachers, the one especially, named Jane Murray (to whom his father presented this ruler) and said- "you will have several large boys during the winter months, who will need more that a shake up at times." That same ruler stayed on at the little red school house, during my time as a child and I often did the weeping, when it was used mostly on the boys, here I shall name only three; Avery Smith, Eugene Hayes and Emery Crester, he was the best receiver of the ruler discipline and having a jolly, fiery nature took his medicine without a winch and ended with a smile. By the time our teacher who many of you knew as Frank Myers ( who lived his late years in Nellison) changed position for the paddling; the victim would fall across his lap face down, the rear felt the paddle, but I now think it only a sting. When other teachers came, one I name as - Ida Dockstader, she changed to a switch across our shoulderes, tenderly, and I know, I had it too.

<- Anita Smith.

In my teaching days, I never used it either, I found they hated to be kept in at recess time and write one word 500 times as punishment; and that was the word used. I also improved on the cold lunch in a tin pail. I planned on a good bed of coals, by noon in the large box stove, spread newspapers about it to catch the melted butter, while we all toasted sandwiches held on apple branches as a fork. Our cafeteria, Compared to that of today, was very simple and no expense to tax payers.

I think it's a wonderful idea- to restore that old school house near Ft. Klock and give the youngsters of today some knowledge of how their forefathers and mothers spent long days at school; heated by wood burning stoves, all drinking from a pail, of spring water, with the same tin dipper; wading through snow to reach the cold out house; but there where no complaints.

I spoke of the spring water and wish to say that I have visited that same spring, twice, in the last 20 years and it still flows.

A poem written by me some years ago ( 1944 or 1946 ) entitled, "The spring of my childhood days," will be gladly given to use by the Standard-Courier if, they so desire.

Very Truly Yours,

Lillian Allen-Wohlgemuth

"This curly maple paddle is at the Fort Klock School house. I enjoy telling the students about it."

Anita Smith

Anita, I would like to see the poem. I would like to print it in the Newsletter. Dave

Officer Rick Klock

Officer Rick Klock lives in Whitehall, Pennsylvania. He has been a Police Officer for 18 years. He is single and enjoys weight lifting and he Won a bronze medal at the PA Police Olympics. He also loves the beach, riding his Harley, and driving his Corvette in shows.

The picture on the left is Officer Klock's trading card. The Whitehall Police Department and other Police Departments in Pennsylvania and Neighboring states are doing them." Kids love collecting and trading them, "according to Officer Klock. I talked with him on the phone a few weeks ago. He does not know his line. There are several Klock Familys that live in Pennsylvania. I would not be surprised if his line traced back to Hendrick Klock and the Mohawk Valley, but for now it is unknown. He has a message for the Kids who read the Newsletter. .. Stay in school, don't surround yourself with losers, and always try to move forward in life.

Fort Klock and Indian Castle Church

Fort Klock and Indian Castle Church are two separate organizations. In the last newsletter I implied that the two were connected. The two organizations have nothing to do with each other except they share the same web site on the internet and they share that cost. Some of the of the same people are involved in both organizations, but the organizations are not connected. " Klock Connections" I have gotten several letters from people who subscribe to the Klock Connections. Thank you for all your wonderful comments. It is a lot of work and research, but I enjoy doing it. If you have a story you would like share, please send it along. I did received a Ghost Story I will share with you next month and an up-date on the next Klock Reunion. Thanks again for your support... Dave

Return to Klock Connections Opening Page.

Copyright 1998, -- 2004. Berry Enterprises & Dave Klock. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.